Landlords Checklist

What do you need to do?

  • If you have a mortgage you will need to inform the mortgage company that you are going to be letting the property.
  • You will need to make sure that both your buildings & contents insurance provide adequate cover for a rented property.
  • We will require proof of ownership of the property i.e. a copy of the mortgage statement.
  • You will need to make sure your property is safe and have all relevant legal requirements in place prior to the tenant taking occupation.
  • This means you WILL need a gas safety certificate it you have gas to the property. This must be carried out by a Corgi Registered Engineer who will supply the certificate.
  • A breach of these regulations could impose a maximum fine of £5000 of imprisonment – or both
  • You will need smoke detectors in place.
  • If the property is furnished you will need to make sure all soft furnishings comply with ‘The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 & 1993). All labels need to be attached.
  • You will need a EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) for the property.
  • We need to know who supplies all the utilities to the property.
  • Should you be moving overseas we will need you to complete a FICO form for the Inland Revenue, allowing you to apply for a tax exemption certificate.
  • We will require the council tax band.
  • We will need 3 full sets of keys.